In my ongoing journey of bettering myself from the inside out, finding health conscious and toxic free beauty and skincare products are right up there on my list along with maintaining strong mental health, staying active, and ensuring the foods I eat are high quality and nutrient dense. The latter may seem obvious to most, but why beauty products? Really the answer to that question is rather similar to the quality of foods we consume. The products that we use are not only absorbed into the skin, but they are also inhaled and end up contaminating our bloodstream. And when there is an overload of toxins in the body due to chemicals in the air, food and household products, our kidneys end up working overtime and can’t filter as well as they’re supposed to. What is the result of all this? Health problems, fertility issues and hormone disruption. If you are interested in learning more about this from a female perspective I highly recommend the book Woman Code, by Alisa Vitti.
I think the obvious thought here is that if these chemicals are so bad, they surely wouldn’t be legal. Unfortunately, similar to the food and pharmaceutical industry, that’s not the case. Just to give you an idea, the U.S. only partially bans less than 50 harmful chemicals, whereas Europe bans over 1,000. Crazy I know. Luckily, there has been a recent shift towards a safer and healthier lifestyle for ourselves and our families, and many companies and organizations are paving the way for a better tomorrow. One of them in the realm of beauty and skincare products is Beautycounter. I first learned about Beatycounter from our good friend Sarah, who we became close with while living in England. After talking with her, my first thought was, “How have I not heard of this company!?”.
Here’s the quick and “clean” on Beautycounter:
- They sell everything from skincare, makeup, and bath & body products for the whole family
- Ingredients are sourced from sustainable, non-GMO suppliers
- No products or ingredients are tested on animals
- Consult with academia, govt bodies and international non-profit health organizations on latest research
- Partner with the Environmental Working Group, Breast Cancer Prevention Partners and Healthy Child Healthy World
- Creators of the Never List, banning the use of 1,500 harmful chemicals. Find the full list and descriptions here.
Curious how safe your current products are? Check them out with the Environmental Working Group’s: Skin Deep Database.
My favorite products?
- Charcoal Cleansing Bar. I have been on a hunt for a cleansing bar that could be used on both my face and body, especially for when I travel. Not only does it work wonders on my face, but I am now once step closer in minimizing my beauty routine. Also, it comes in a paper box which is 100% recyclable.
- Protect All Over Sunscreen SPF 30. A non-toxic sunscreen that actually works? Well, this one actually works. I have had the hardest time when it comes to sunscreens and am so pleased with this one. Its water resistant, light weight and absorbs nicely into the skin. The bottle and cap are made of #5 plastic, which is also recyclable.
How do you purchase or stay in the know with deals and wellness topics? Through Sarah!
- Shopping link: Vim & Vigor Special. All my readers will receive a free gift with $100 purchase.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Instagram: saferisbeautiful
- Facebook Group: Beautycounter by Sarah Clark
If you have any questions, Sarah and I will be sticking around in the comments 🙂