Life

Healthy Hair Secrets

Glasses | Top-Vintage | Jeans

I get asked a lot about my hair and I wish I could say that it’s because I’m a hair expert and know all of these crazy methods and tricks, but that’s not the case. My hair has been a combination of making a few healthy choices and actually a whole lot of laziness. So in an attempt to give you all a more guided approach. I had a little chat with my trusted hair stylist, Tania Crawford here in Destin FL, and luckily all of her expert recommendations confirmed my “approach”.

1. What you eat, your hair eats. Nutrient dense foods and good fats are your friend. A good tool for super foods that I’ve been using is “G-Bombs”: greens, beans, onions, mushrooms, berries, seeds. (Eat to Live) And you want fats with high omega-3, like avocados, flax, chia, and walnuts.
  2. What you drink, your hair drinks. Staying hydrated is essential to every system of your body, hair included. Tired of dry, brittle hair? Drink up! A good rule of thumb is to drink half your body weight in ounces per day. (more if you are a coffee/tequila fiend or highly active)
  3. Be lazy, your hair will thank you. The dyeing, daily shampooing, blow drying, curling, straightening, spraying, pinning, hair tying, etc isn’t good for you hair. Shocking, I know.  Take a walk on the wild side, and give your hair a break every now and again. As for washing, the longer you can go without. the better. And the more you get used to doing this, the more your hair will be trained to follow suit. I’m washing my hair about once a week now. “What! A flipping week!? There’s no way.” Well there is a way, its called dry shampoo and maybe a cute hat like this one here. If you want more info on how to oil train your hair, I found this blog post by Lee From America most helpful.
  4. Products, Products, Products. I was pleasantly surprised to hear products at the very bottom of Tania’s list. Typically, when I ask stylists this question I get bombarded with twelve different sponsored must have items and frequent visits to the salon for expensive treatments. Luckily, we are in good hands with Tania. So to compliment a mindful routine as mentioned above, here are some health conscious product lines we recommend:
    1. Shampoo/Conditioner for long hair: Davines-Melu
    2. Shampoo/Conditioner for moisture: Oribe
    3. Dry Shampoo: Davines & Rahua
    4. Boar bristle brush: stimulates the scalp for hair growth and distributes natural oils throughout to keep it healthy.
    5. Things to avoid: Products with sulfates and parabens
  5. Supplements? I take a women’s organic whole food vitamin by Rainbow Light and pasture raised collagen peptides by Vital Proteins. Collagen peptides are essentially the building blocks for healthier hair, skin, nails and many others things within the body.

My absolute favorite thing about this list is that it’s not just limited to making your hair healthier – It’s great for your skin, health, hormones, sanity, bank account and most importantly, a better and happier you.

A little more about my beautiful stylist, Tania:

“She is a master stylist known for her vision for high fashion, editorial looks in masterful extension work, contemporary men’s haircuts and her professionally-trained makeup skills. As a 2016 nominee for North American Hairstylist Award’s (NAHA) Newcomer Stylist of the Year, and an upcoming stylist for New York Fashion week in the fall of 2017. Tania continues to pave her way in the hair and beauty industry as a noteworthy expert”

Salon: Pure & Couture

Email: taniacrawford@yahoo.com

Instagram: @tania_crawford

We hope you found this post helpful! Questions, comments, concerns? We’re all ears below.

xx,

Share on
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

16 Comments

• Reply Maria

Loved reading this! I noticed my hair looks better when I go lazy on it!! Sooo, thanks for the reminder that lazy is fine when it comes to hair!

July 28, 2017 at 5:07 am
    • Reply Stephanie

yay! anything that involves less I’m all for. glad it was helpful 🙂

July 29, 2017 at 6:44 pm
  • Reply Lindsay M Fischer

Yes. The lazier I am and the more water I drink, the better my hair looks! Great tips.

July 28, 2017 at 2:04 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

glad to hear this approach is working for you too Lindsay!

July 29, 2017 at 6:50 pm
  • Reply Kristen Jones

Love these tips! I’ve definitely been embracing the lazy hair technique. For almost a month, I didn’t have heat on it but once a week, if that and my hair feels so much better!

July 28, 2017 at 2:49 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

that’s so good to hear Kristen! I love hearing how this is working for other people too

July 29, 2017 at 7:04 pm
  • Reply cynthia

Stephanie,
    What a fantastic blog on hair. It’s more than what I expected. Chock full of wonderful tips and facts. That also explains your beautiful hair and (if Im allowed) my lovely hair too. I wash it 3-4 times a week. I do not. blow dry often but maybe once every other week. And It’s been years since my hair has had any chemical treatments….the only product I use and have been using for decades is Kerastase Oleo Relax and a 4.2oz bottle it will last me a year maybe longer. All those amazing benefits you mentioned only make me want to keep it up. I also notice a great difference in skin and nails. Awesome post, Stephanie!

July 28, 2017 at 5:39 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

yes you’re allowed! beautiful woman all around, both inside and out. I’m so glad to hear you found it more than expected. It seems like the old fashion way yet again seems to prove the best. Thank you for reading and for your sweet words Cynthia 🙂

July 29, 2017 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Amanda

My hair thanks you! It loves to be lazy and so do I. Glad to see I am doing a few things right anyway.

July 29, 2017 at 5:49 am
    • Reply Stephanie

well tell it I said you’re welcome! haha thanks for stopping by Amanda 🙂

July 29, 2017 at 7:13 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth Brico

Wow, you certainly have beautiful hair. My hair is the bane of my existence. Or at least my physical appearance. I was just telling my husband yesterday that I might be able to consider myself pretty if I just had better hair. The thing is though, I actually do a lot of these things already 🙁 So maybe I’m just doomed to bad hair? I’ll have to try the products. Maybe those are the key, because that’s the one thing on the list I haven’t much been able to do (or afford). So which is best for thin lifeless horrible hair, lol?

July 31, 2017 at 4:37 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

no way! we’re not quitters haha I asked Tania and she recommends volu by davines (shampoo & conditioner) and if you are looking to take a step further and get treatments, go with olaplex

August 1, 2017 at 3:33 pm
  • Reply the sophia diaries

Great tips! I just started the wash-my-hair less journey and I don’t necessarily like it because I like my hair fresh, but I know it’s good to give it a break sometimes <3

August 3, 2017 at 11:14 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

Ya, at first it’s an adjustment but your hair really does adapt. Hope you are noticing some improvements!

August 15, 2017 at 2:38 pm
  • Reply Emmahlyn

This post was so helpful and love all the tips! I usually like to keep my hair long and because of that, it requires a lot of work to keep it looking healthy. I will surely give these tips a try!!

August 14, 2017 at 9:53 am
    • Reply Stephanie

I hear ya! Mine is pretty long too and at times can be a pain taming the beast 🙂 glad to hear you found it helpful!

August 15, 2017 at 2:34 pm