Music

Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats

Matt and I joke that music is what brought us together…and it’s most likely what will keep us together. It may seem silly, but music has this rare ability to connect people and bring them together without much effort and little conversation. The notes and the lyrics do all the talking and in a way share a piece of ourselves that we sometimes have trouble putting into words. When Matt and I were “just friends”, we’d constantly send each other playlists or favorite vinyls for birthdays and holidays trying to express to the other what we were both too bashful to say. Now were married and the music mania continues. In hopes to be just like Harvey Specter from Suits when we grow up, we’ve decided to purchase a new record each month to help grow the collection.

The first album we chose for the month of March was their first and self titled LP, Nathaniel Rateliff and The Nightsweats. They are a fairly new band (2015), from Denver, and range from folk to vintage rhythm and blues. You may recognize them by their more popular song, S.O.B, which is ironically all about about sobering up and getting clean. The lyrics say one thing and the infectious uptempo notes say another; a perfect crafting of what I imagine is the artist’s internal struggle.

Above, I’ve shared one of their other popular singles from the album, I Need Never Get Old. It’s all about love and love lost. Enjoy 🙂

xx,

Share on
Next Post

You may also like

8 Comments

• Reply Lori |Choosing Wisdom

I love the vintage feel of this song! I’m from Denver and so the roots of this band intrigues me! What a great share! Thank you!

April 5, 2017 at 4:58 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

the vintage feel is what I love about them! Glad you enjoyed 🙂

April 5, 2017 at 5:26 pm
  • Reply Vicki @ Babies to Bookworms

My husband became of fan of theirs after hearing S.O.B. I gave him this album as a gift, and it is almost always playing around our house now! He even dances with our daughter to one of the songs.

April 5, 2017 at 6:57 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

Us too, the song is so catchy and fun. That’s so sweet though that he dances with your daughter to one of them! Matt and I dance around to a few of them too 😉

April 5, 2017 at 9:14 pm
  • Reply Corey | The Nostalgia Diaries

They are the best! I’m from Denver, too, and they have a huge following here. Over on our blog, we do Music Monday playlists and we included them in a playlist that listed songs that were new that sounded vintage 🙂 I Need Never Get Old made the cut!

April 6, 2017 at 5:56 am
    • Reply Stephanie

I can imagine. Oh awesome! I’ll be sure to check out your blog on Mondays! Always looking for great new tracks 🙂

April 6, 2017 at 2:24 pm
  • Reply Elizabeth Brico

This is so sweet; my husband I connected over music too, although he now seems to believe we have no music taste in common (not true but whatevs). I LOOOVE Nathaniel and the Night Sweats though…that’s why I clicked this! I hadn’t heard this particular song yet though so thank you!

April 6, 2017 at 10:20 pm
    • Reply Stephanie

haha thats too funny! Now that were married our tastes aren’t as aligned either. It makes me wonder if the guys are more agreeable while they’re dating 😉 so glad to hear you like them too!

April 7, 2017 at 4:03 pm